Pages

19 August 2011

Genesis 9: Never Again

Genesis 9. I was going to include this in the last post, but this (like everything else) is one of my favourite parts of the Bible. I grew up with the story of Noah and with God's promise to Noah, but the story was taught to me with one small but major difference in comparison to what I read in the story now.

As a child, I remember learning about how evil and wicked humanity had become and how angry God was. Noah sure was lucky God was able to cool down enough to save Noah and his family, even though God was still very angry at everyone else. After the flood, God promised Noah, almost grudgingly, not to ever flood the whole earth again. Mostly because it just didn't work out, not because God was sorry people died. For all the reassurances that this God was a loving God, this God sounded pretty unstable and wrathful.

When I reread the Bible for Lent, I was surprised, again and again, to find that the God in the Bible wasn't actually such a horrible being. In fact, Noah's ark quickly became one of my absolute favourites as an example of the loving God about whose rumoured existence I had so much doubt. Instead of the "Well, now you realised how pissed off I was; hope you finally learned your lesson!" sort of speech from God to Noah after the flood, God (I was shocked to read) starts off by blessing Noah and his family.

"I give you everything," says God. "Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood." (9:3-4) Instead of scolding or warnings, God gives all of creation to Noah and his family, reminding them only to respect the sanctity of all life. It might seem hypocritical, but God follows up with a promise to Noah: "Never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth." (9:11) It's like God's repentance almost. Never again, God says. Enough with destruction; even the lives of so-called "sinners" are sacred.

But my absolute favourite part of the story is the rainbow: "'When the bow is in the clouds, I will look upon it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.'" (9:16) Until rereading the story last Lent, I had never known that the rainbow was a symbolic reminder to God, not us. I always thought it was a reminder that we had done wrong, but God forgave us, that God was overwhelmingly forgiving. But that's not how (at least in the English translations) it's written. It is a reminder that God had "done wrong," and that God was truly and humbly sorry.

God can really seem like a jerk sometimes. Things don't always seem fair. A friend commits suicide, and you question how God could possibly let such a terrible thing happen to such a good person, how God failed to protect them from the struggles they faced, why God burdened them with more than they could bear. If God is so perfect, so infallible, so all-knowing and all-powerful, did God just not care? Or was it for some stupid "greater purpose" that God decided to throw away a life just like that?

When I see rainbows, I think of Dumbledore, whose obsession with working for the "greater good," no matter how many lives it cost to obtain it, cost him the life of his sister. "Where your treasure is, your heart will be also," he has engraved on her tombstone. It is a quote from Matthew 6:21.

I can't tell you whether God makes mistakes or not—that's a bigger discussion than this story really is about—but I can tell you that it very often feels like God has made a mistake. I get angry with God and demand an apology and an explanation. Suffering is incomprehensible.

But rather than tell me it is fair, I deserved it, or I'm too stupid to understand, God says sorry and asks me for forgiveness. God says, "Never again," and puts a rainbow in the sky to remind Godself of the promise made. "I give you everything," only learn from my mistakes, says God. Respect all life as holy.

And just as God humbly asks our forgiveness, just as we must forgive God, so to must we ask each other forgiveness and forgive each other. Never again, we must say, even though we know we are imperfect and will forget. The story of Noah's ark is about forgiveness.

No comments: