Pages

02 May 2011

Not By the Sword

I cannot rejoice in the murder of Osama bin Laden. Mourning, however, is not an easy reaction. I would love to feel the joy. And, in fact, I almost could. It wouldn't take much for me to change my stance and rejoice. It's the easy choice. So why not choose it? Why not do what is easy? Why put myself through this misery and sorrow and bitterness when jubilation and triumph is just as readily available right now? Why choose to suffer?

I chose to struggle and to wrestle with my own beliefs, rather than give into fleeting joy. It was a choice made easier by others around me making the same choice. That's what church is for me: a community of people who will struggle and wrestle alongside me. So I went to church today to try to deal with all of the confusing emotions that have come as a result of the murder of Osama bin Laden.

I have reason to rejoice, and it has nothing to do with Osama bin Laden. I can rejoice in the knowledge that, in spite of all of the hurt and pain in this world, in spite of death even, love can, will, and does conquer. Something inexplicable happened 2,000 years ago when a man preached about love so great that it conquers even death. It's not about the science or the factual details; something incredible happened. Jesus willingly walked to his death, his love infinitely greater than his fear of death, and in that loving act, he saved us all from death too. Forget the science; the story of Jesus is about the potential of humanity for inexplicable goodness and love in the face of our hatred and fear.

I do not rejoice in death, and yet I do not need to mourn either, for there is something infinitely stronger than death, and that is love. As cheesy and clichéd as it sounds, I believe with all my heart and all my soul and all my strength. We are to love our enemies, not for their sake, but for our own, for what will it do to our own souls if we are to take pleasure in the destruction of another?

Osama bin Laden lived by the sword, and thus died by the sword; let us not do the same. Let us strive to do the uncomfortable and even painful work of making room in our hearts for compassion, love, and forgiveness, like Jesus did, like the Nickel Mines Amish community did, like Ghandi and King and Harry Potter and so many others did.

UPDATE: And here is a statement by All Saints Church regarding all of this.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Not directly responding, but a voice I read that also felt a swirl of emotions: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/current-events/op-ed/25463-should-christians-celebrate-the-death-of-osama-bin-laden