Pages

20 May 2010

Tingling Souls

I love music. I have loved music my entire life. I was singing and dancing and making instruments out of the world before I even left the womb. My childhood was spent discovering every sound I could possibly make. I joined choir when I was 5, and sang my way through years of musicals in elementary school. My dad and I tapped out beats together at the dinner table. I was staring about 500 different bands. And my eight grade choir was by far the coolest choir my classmates had ever seen.

And then high school happened. Maybe it was hormones. Maybe it was the divorce. Maybe it was public school. Maybe it was nothing at all even, but I stopped making noise. There was a period of my life in which I barely had any kind art, especially music, in my life, and it was the most unhappy period of my life.

One day, my friend Daniel Zlotorowicz (Yeah, that's a shameless plug to his music page.) handed me a CD and told me to listen to it. So I did, and it changed the course of my life forever. (cue dramatic music) The CD was One Cell in the Sea by A Fine Frenzy.

I loved it. We went to see A Fine Frenzy that April, and it was one of the best days of my life. I decided to teach myself piano, and, that summer, I sat down at the piano bench, set up whatever sheet music or piano tabs I could find, and slowly started translating all the scribbles and letters into music.

I love music. I finally joined my high school choir (for my final semester), and I've rediscovered how utterly relaxing it is to stand up on stage and just sing. I know not everyone feels the same, but it's what I spent my childhood doing; it's like going home.

I love music. You can pour your heart and soul into it; belt along with your favourite song, and it somehow takes a little of the weight off your shoulders. Playing music, writing music, is just as incredible; when you lose yourself in music, it opens up all the floodgates of emotion and lets everything free. Like when your leg falls asleep, and you suddenly use it again, and all the feeling comes rushing into your leg, tingling and pricking.

We let our souls fall asleep, and music wakes them up.

No comments: