Pages

06 November 2010

Luce's Dream

Hey! Guess what? Another excerpt for Call Me Lux is available for your viewing, free of charge! Yeah, I'm that nice. Of course, since this is in the middle of everything I've been writing (still in the early parts of the book though!), you won't know who all the characters mentioned are, but that's not terribly important right now. Just enjoy the excerpt!:

I don’t remember falling asleep— I must have fallen asleep immediately—, but I remember dreaming about the posters. They were demanding that I hand Whatsername over, but, for some reason, I was refusing. I didn’t know why they wanted her or, more importantly, why I seemed to have her held hostage from them, but it made perfect sense to dream me. My subconscious.

The posters began to turn violent after I continued to refuse to let them have her. They called in reinforcements. Grace and Hayley (though I’d never met Hayley) both came to get Whatsername, and Eamon was there too, though I wasn’t really sure whose side he was on. I think he was on mine because he was telling the posters just to let Whatsername and I be, but he also seemed to want to take me away from Whatsername.

It didn’t make much sense, like any normal dream, but the weirdest part was the lightning. It was everywhere. Everything I touched erupted with electricity. But the posters didn’t care about being electrocuted. I could zap Grace and Hayley, even Eamon and Whatsername if I wanted, but the posters were immune.

And then, suddenly, the electricity turned in on me, and I felt my whole body being electrocuted. I woke up screaming. The light was on again, and bright enough to blind anyone. Whatsername groaned, and then jerked awake suddenly. Within a second, she was at my side, sputtering nonsense. The electrocuted feeling subsided, and I stopped screaming.

“Luce! Luce! Are you okay?”

I groaned. “Yeah. Just had a bad dream, I guess.” Silence. “Was the light always that bright?” Whatsername looked up at the light, furrowing her brow.

“I thought I turned it off.” The light flickered. “I’m going to tell my dad to check the wiring. Maybe it’s the circuit breaker.” She stared at the light as the flickering slowed. This time, it stayed off. “God, that’s so weird. Ever seen a light do that before?”

“No.”

“So weird.”

Silence. I looked at the clock. It was flashing 12:03. The power must have just gone out.
“Three am, Luce.” She must have seen me look at the clock. Or just realised I’d probably want to know the time. “I’m going to go back to sleep if you’re okay.”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

Silence.

No comments: