Pages

15 November 2010

Mondays used to be my "update day", but I've since stopped having specific writing on specific days, save for Fridays "Things I've Learned" which is sometimes pretty similar to non-Friday stuff. Today, I'm going to do a sort of update though, as to where in the world I am right now, and who I am right now. A re-introduction. More than just a "weekly update" or anything.

So let's start. My name is Elizabeth Thraen. I'm on the last days of age 18 now (Amazing how time flies!), and starting to get nervous about my 20s no longer seeming so incredibly distant. Then again, we're so obsessed with age, and yet it means so very little. We have arbitrary attachments to our arbitrary numbering, but we're all different, and 18-going-on-19 means something totally different for me than it does for you or anyone else.

I am an artist. Whether it's graphic design or painting, music or theatre, I just love the arts. I love the expression of ideas, which is really what I think art is. It's a means of communication which does not necessarily rely on words or concepts specific to any one culture because it is about speaking to the heart, which has only one universal language. Sorry to get sappy, but that's love. I'm sappy at times.

I hate politics. Maybe hate isn't the right word, but I'm frustrated with how changes are made or not made and how the bureaucratic system works here in the United States. I have strong disagreements with both major political parties and thus vote independent in most elections. I know the independents have little chance of winning, but I strongly disagree with the idea of voting for the "lesser of two evils" when there are other perfectly good candidates running. It's that whole idea of the lesser of two evils which prevents independents from winning elections; people are so afraid of the other "major candidate" that they take their vote from the independent and waste it on someone they don't always like very much. It's a fear driven system, and I hate it.

I consider myself Christian, despite the Christians who have made a bad name for the rest of us with their hateful signs and their Crusades in God's name. I feel for the Muslims who are experiencing that same judgement (intensified greatly) right now because of the minority who have used their religion to excuse hate. Christian, to me, is about that exactly: feeling for those who are suffering. And not just feeling, but doing something about it. I consider myself Christian because the group of people with whom I commune spiritually consider themselves Christian, and I'm a part of that "Christian community" we have. It's not about who said "Love your neighbour" so much as it is that you do love your neighbour. And it's the most inclusive, loving, welcoming, etc. church I've ever stepped foot in.

But who am I today? I'm revising a book I accidentally wrote in a week, so I guess I'm a writer. I'm hurriedly trying to up my guitar and percussion abilities, so I guess I'm a musician. I'm taking classes at a college, so I guess I'm a college student. I'm writing this post, so I guess I'm a blogger. I'm wishing I had time to work on my webcomic, so I guess I'm not much of a webcomic artist/writer right now. I'm teach and direct theatre arts at a local high school, so I guess I'm that too. I'm a sister, daughter, friend, student, teacher, artist, cousin, niece, dog-owner, musician, tiredperson.

I'm going at the speed of light to new places all the time, so who knows where I'll be tomorrow.

No comments: