Pages

11 February 2011

Redefining Human Nature

I read an article on the Huffington Post Wednesday entitled "Can We Be Truly Good? The Transcendent and Sacred Possibilities in Humans" by Rabbi David Wolpe. I urge you to read it; it's a very short story, but it's a powerful one.

I have been struggling to define human nature for what feels like eternity, and perhaps we, as a species, really have been trying to define our own natures for the entirety of our collective existences, for the eternity of humanity. (Not that humans have always been around.) About two months ago, I reflected in one of my notebooks on what I thought might be inherent in human nature, a topic brought to the surface by my own ridiculous reaction to being responsible for taking care of a snake for a few days: I found myself desperate to understand the snake and determine the best way to assure his well-being:
I fear the snake. Not because I fear it is inherently harmful, violent, or to be feared, but because I fear my own ignorance. I fear my own ignorance could harm one or both of us. Should the light be on? Should the light be off? Would he like to be picked up? To be touched and given attention and affection? Or would he rather be left alone? Was he aware that he was free to move about the bathroom as he pleased? Did he know I was there to care for him? That, could he communicate a want or need to me, that I would do all in my power to fulfill his wishes? Did he know I loved him? [...] To think I could love a snake! I know I do, but somehow I have learned cynicism. I have learned that humans are not capable of love and selflessness. Humans do not love snakes. Should I deny my humanity? No, the solution is not to deny being human, but to redefine humanity. Everything is solved with a redefinition of what I believe is inherent in being human. Humans are fully capable of love and selflessness. In fact, this is what being human is about, is it not? Love and serving one another.
I think we are so convinced that it is in our natures to be selfish and cruel for two reasons:
  1. If human nature is inherently good, then we have no excuse but to do good 24/7. To do anything but good would be to deny and fail our very own nature. If we are to believe in the goodness of ourselves, then we must hold ourselves responsible for our imperfection. By claiming that selfishness is inherent, we can accept our shortcomings and allow ourselves to feel good when we do good. If we are built for goodness and we aren't good, we're as useful as an unplugged toaster, (Seriously, try to get your toaster to toast without plugging in; it just takes up space.) and no one is interested in feeling utterly useless.
  2. And secondly, if human nature is inherently good, then others have no excuse but to good 24/7. Of course, we all know that no one ever does the "right thing" 100% of the time, so to expect that those around us should be perfect and flawless only leads to pain, anger, and disappointment when they fail. Forgiveness becomes impossible. We have to believe that humans are imperfect, or we will never forgive them for being thus.
Humans are not inherently good. We are not built for goodness, perfection, or other-centered-ness. Yet humans are not inherently evil or selfless either. Every single day, humans make illogical choices which put others first. The moments which bring us most joy are when we do something for the good of others. It is clear that our nature cannot possibly be inherently evil, or our species would have long ago gone extinct.

I would like to thus redefine humanity as inherently good-seeking. You see, our problem is not selfishness or a instinctive desire to harm others. Our problem is that we do not know that "good" is. We all have different ideas, but who of us truly knows? Often, we find ourselves faced with the choice between two not-so-good options, and our actions fail to live up to that indefinable "good" for which we long. 

My idea of "good" might not always agree with yours, but in the end, we all want to do what we think is right. And sometimes, we fail. We seek goodness, but other things distract us, or we don't really know what goodness is or how to find it, and our imperfections show. And when that happens, it is absolutely necessary that we forgive, both ourselves and others, or else hate and fear will become our masters, and not goodness and love.

Thank you.

(Boy, was that preachy! Heh.)

No comments: