Pages

18 August 2010

Exceeds Expectations

Woah! Another morning post! Maybe I really am more than just a lazy, unmotivated, irresponsible artist-slacker! Just kidding. Everyone knows artists are the epitome of lazy. It's just FACT.

So as I sit here, trying to finish revisions on Where the Wild Berries Grow, I can't help but daydream. As summer speeds away to its demise, things like auditions, casting, rehearsals, and eventual performance are leaping closer and closer. And I can't help thinking that maybe, just maybe, this year will be way better than last year.

This script will require more from me as a director. It requires bigger, better lighting. It requires dance choreography, music direction, and fight choreography. It requires a set. It requires costumes and make-up. It requires flashback, costume changes, set changes, and more than just a 17-year-old tossing whatever she can find together.

This play requires better acting. The characters are much more real, much more subtle. The drama is intense. The comedy is often less blatant. Many scenes will require very specific blocking and choreography.

I wanted to push myself, I wanted to push the program, and I wanted to push the kids. Without Direction set expectations, and now the goal is to exceed every one of those. Bigger and better.

But it all starts with the script. As much as I'd like to just jump right into production, I have to use the final week and a half I have left to make the script as amazing as possible. Without a more-than-just-good script, we can't have a more-than-just-good production. And since I'm aiming for an absolutely incredible production, I guess I'm going to have to write an absolutely incredible script.

Goodbye, blog procrastination; hello, revision!

No comments: