Pages

02 December 2010

A Dream within a Dream

Edgar Allan Poe is, without a doubt, my favourite poet. The poor man suffered so very much in his life and never lived to see his beautiful words appreciated, but he is one of the most well-known and well-respected poets today. It's a pity he had to spend his life in pain in order to create all of the beauty that he did.

Obviously, I was thinking about Poe before writing this. Actually, I was thinking about songwriting and poetry and all sorts of things which led me to trying to find a good reading of a few of Poe's poems. There are a lot of beautiful poems to choose from, but the video below was incredible. I've watched it over and over and over again.



The music and reading were already haunting enough, but the video is just completely captures the irony and juxtaposition of the calm tone of the poem with the blatant insanity of the loss of a sense of reality. It's dizzying and sickening; I want to throw up.

There's something incredible and beautiful about how horrific and depressing Poe's poetry and stories are. This video just cut straight through me and opened me up. From the words "end of poem" (which I originally hated and now am not so sure about) on, it's just a spiral of ever-increasing insanity. I'm not sure I can actually bear watching it. It's like Requiem for a Dream or even Lost & Delirious, both tied for the title of Most Depressing Movie Ever. If you haven't seen them, I won't advise you to watch them. They're beautiful, but both always put me into a depressed stupor for days.

I think I'm going to be in a bit of a depressed stupor now after watching that video over and over. It's addictive.

No comments: