Pages

10 September 2010

Old Friends

Hello, friends! Happy Friday! Has it been a good week? It's been a great week here!

What have I learned this week? Maybe some appreciation for keeping this blog, actually. It's such a pain just about all of the time, but it teaches me a lot every day.

But that's not my lesson today. I think the biggest thing I've learned recently isn't so much a lesson, but just a conclusion I've come to: nothing beats old friends.

I love new friends. You need new friends from time to time. But still there is nothing like an old friend. An old friend knows you. With an old friend, there's no need to count off your siblings, pets, favourite colour, or childhood dreams. That's the best thing about an old friend. No backstory necessary. No need to take up precious time explaining why something is or isn't important to you. Old friend don't need you to tell them who you are; they already know.

But still, new friends can become old friends. And new friends give you new opinions, new insight, new perspective. New friends let you reinvent yourself. New friends allow you to be an entirely new person if you want.

I like my new friends and my old friends both, but it's been really nice to have old friends amongst all the new that comes with beginning a new chapter if my life: college. It's not much of a lesson, other than "appreciate your friends," but it's all I've got other than all this art history fogging up my brain.

Have a good weekend!

No comments: