Pages

27 September 2010

Silver Linings

Some of you already know what happened Friday. It's not a secret, but it's not something I would like to share with the entire universe right now. If you ask me separately, I'll probably explain to you what happened. The point of this post is not really about what happened though.

Just about anyone who has been in a similar situation will probably tell you it is a bad situation. And it is. But bad things happen, and there ain't a thing you can do about it sometimes. I can't go back to Friday and decide to just stay home instead. Had I stayed home, nothing would have happened. But I didn't stay home, and what happened happened. Nothing I can do to change that now.

But I can change what I think and feel about it. I could be miserable, could complain about idiotic people, could be angry with myself, could demand the sympathy of others, or any number of things. I could be filled with negative emotion. But I don't want that. As it is, I am in physical pain right now, and I'm very frustrated because I'm a bit helpless and have no choice but to depend on others to help me with things I was previously handling on my own. I've lost responsibilities I valued, and I've lost the most important part of my day: the hour I get to spend with my brother each day.

I could be bitter, but I don't want to be. I want to be happy. I need to be happy, to feel positive emotion, in order to combat the pain and limitations that I now must deal with. The pain is bearable; I know it will pass. I have suffered much worse before. And my limitations are also not forever. They will pass, but while they remain, they give me new things to appreciate.

I have incredible friends. There are a lot of people who care for me a lot, some of whom I barely even know. For all of our short-comings, we humans have an amazing ability to love and care for each other. Though we may often act selfishly (I know I sure do), when another needs help, we are capable of amazing acts of selflessness and compassion. And I love that. It gives me so much hope when I see how capable humans are. It gives me faith. It is so much easier to face difficulties with faith. When you know things will be okay, it doesn't matter so much that things aren't okay right now.

Someday, our world will be a place of peace and love for each other. Friday helped me find faith in that future again.

P. S. My meeting is tomorrow! Wish me jelly beans!

P. P. S. Nothing really terrible happened, and I'll be fine again soon, so don't worry, for those of you who I know will. Like my mother. Hey, mom, stop worrying about me!

2 comments:

Stephanie Thraen said...

I *have* to worry, it's in my Mom Contract!

Pandoras_7 said...

^is true.

And also, I worry bout my mama!! Lol <3 ya Em.

-A