Pages

02 September 2010

The Rescues

I promised to write an artist or two this week on Monday, didn't I? Well, lucky you, I don't like to break my promises! So, without further ado, let's talk about The Rescues: Kyler England, Rob Giles, Adrianne Gonzalez, and Gabriel Mann.

It's no wonder I like The Rescues: piano-driven rock, vocal harmonies, ukulele, creative lyrics, and musicians who play multiple instruments. And they're L.A.-based. Their debut album, Let Loose the Horses, was released only a few months ago, so they're (hopefully) just getting started; I am definitely looking forward to hearing more from these guys.

Besides fitting the musical generalisations I find cool, The Rescues stand out to me because they have a unique sound. Each one of them came from a different musical background, and it's obvious in their music that they're not four identical people with all of the same ideas. No, instead of clinging to similarities, they have somehow managed to blend their differences beautifully.

In a way, The Rescues sort of represent my own hopes and beliefs about our society. The idea that four very different people could come together, embrace their differences, and create something beautiful is perhaps one of the most uplifting ideas for me. Losing yourself in order to make peace with others or worse, eliminating differences by eliminating those different from an arbitrarily determined norm is so very far from ideal, but there are times when it seems like our differences could never be reconciled to create something as beautiful as The Rescues. But The Rescues prove it's possible.

Philosophical ideas aside, the music of The Rescues is incredible. Their lyrics are great, their voices beautiful (just listen to their acapella track, "My Heart with You"), and each instrumental note intertwined pleasantly with every other. I'm proud to recommend Kyler, Rob, Adrianne, and Gabriel to anyone cool enough to read my blog. Yeah, that means YOU. I like you; you read my blog! And you're not just my mother.

2 comments:

Brian said...

In a way, The Rescues sort of represent my own hopes and beliefs about our society. The idea that four very different people could come together, embrace their differences, and create something beautiful is perhaps one of the most uplifting ideas for me. Losing yourself in order to make peace with others or worse, eliminating differences by eliminating those different from an arbitrarily determined norm is so very far from ideal, but there are times when it seems like our differences could never be reconciled to create something as beautiful as The Rescues. But The Rescues prove it's possible.

This is beautiful....and one of the reasons that I love The Rescues that I hadn't managed to fully flesh out in my own head.

Great piece!

Thræn said...

Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one.