Pages

26 October 2010

Seventeen Hours

It has occurred to me that, in the midst of my seventeen hour day yesterday, I never managed to get a blog post up. Never fear, I did write. 1668 words, to be exact. I have been practicing getting my daily word count total on 750words.com, which a pretty nifty site for writers and non-writers alike. It's wonderful. You just let yourself go, stop worrying about WHAT to write, and just write the first though that comes to mind. Stream of consciousness. I love it. My writing in there, of course, needs a whole lot of proof reading because I also refuse to hit backspace and fix my errors (though if I skip a word, I'll throw it in parentheses so I can figure out where it goes later) while I'm typing away madly. But it accomplishes something wonderfully useful for NaNo and for life: freedom from fear. I am able to let go of my inhibitions and no longer worry about whether I'm "good enough" while I'm writing on 750words.com, and then, as I get used to it on the site, it flows over into other aspects of my life. It frees me to be more me, to let my creative instincts have free reign over me, and the results are amazing.

Check out 750words.com; it's inspired by the "morning pages" from the book The Artists Way, so you might want to check that book out too.

And so I now hurry off for another long day, only 16 hours of running around today!

No comments: