Pages

23 October 2010

There is just over a week left until NaNoWriMo begins, so for the rest of the month, instead of the usual posts, you'll be getting the results of "word wars" I'll be doing to re-sharpen my speed-writing abilities. Word wars, sometimes called sprints, are high intensity writing "races" in which one writes for a pre-determined amount of time, and at the end of the time frame, a word count is taken to determine how many words were written during the "war". The goal is to write as many as possible, which means that deleting, over-thinking, and hesitating all lower your score. The real point is to shut off the infamous "Inner Editor" which prevents writers from ever getting anything written for fear it might be wrong. The beauty of art is that you are never wrong. Art is just opinion. No matter how many people disagree, it's always yours.

So for the next little-over-a-week, I'll be posting the results of various writing prompts and free writes. Come November, I'll either write about NaNo or post up excerpts from the day's writing, varying as I see fit. Today begins pre-NaNo blogging!

Prompt: "I hope your chair falls apart and someone throws an apple at your head."
Time: 15 minutes
Result: 438
"I hope your chair falls apart and someone throws an apple at your head!" she shrieked, slamming the door in my face. Literally. I stumbled over and landed with a smack on my back. I just sort of laid there for a few minutes. Maybe I hit my head when I fell over too. I don't really remember exactly. All I knew was my best friend had just slammed a door right into my face, my nose was probably broken, and I wasn't even going to consider what kind of pain my back might be in from landing on it. And for what? It wasn't like I had done anything to her. I didn't ask for this! I was tired of it. If I could have given it to her, I would have. After all, she was the one who actually wanted.

But nothing ever works that way, does it? Stupid me wanted nothing more than to just be a normal, average, high school and fit in, so of course I'm the one who gets these stupid powers and can't even function in normal life anymore because I keep electrocuting things. Stupid me. I should have know trying to fit in would only make me stand out. And now my best friend's all mad at me just because I don't want to wear the stupid costume she made me. I mean, seriously? It's spandex. I don't even know where she got spandex, let alone managed to make the whole thing.

I'm going to go to school tomorrow and act like nothing happened. No one else knows besides her anyway, and no one would actually believe her if she started telling people I had superpowers. Because everyone knows superpowers don't really exist. I'm sure it's all just in my head. There's some kind of logical explanation for all of this. A scientific reason. Some sort of electron issue or coicidence or something.

I'm not going to go walking around in some bright yellow spandex tights with a stupid lighting bolt across my chest and a stupid low-cut V-neck thing. What is up with that? That's what I don't get the most. I've never understood so-called "superhero" women who all wore these crazy-tight outfits with their boobs popping out and everything. And high heels! How are you supposed to stop crime in heels? That's ridiculous. I'm not wearing the heels either.

I don't know why I'm even bothering to think about this. It's totally irrelevant. I'm not a hero, I don't have powers, and, actually, I'm going to wake up from this weird dream right about . . . NOW!

No comments: